Theodoros (Akis) Giovazolias
I studied Psychology (BSc) at the Department of Psychology at the University of Crete. I then obtained my MSc from the Manchester Metropolitan University (UK) in Psychology and Counselling. Finally, I received my Psych.D degree from the University of Surrey (UK) in Counselling Psychology where I worked for 3 years in the National Health System (NHS). My research interests focus on the effects of interpersonal acceptance-rejection on psychological adjustment of children and adults and also on issues of student psychological counselling.
- School of Pedagogical & Technological Education (2002 – 2003)
- Adjunct Faculty Member
- University of Patras (2002 – 2004)
- Adjunct Faculty Member
- University of Thessaly (2004 – 2005)
- Adjunct Faculty Member
- University of Crete (2005 – today)
- Faculty Member
- Other (1997 – 2000)
- National Health System /NHS, UK , Counselling Psychologist (1997-2000)
My research interests focus on the effects of interpersonal acceptance-rejection on psychological adjustment of children and adults and also on issues of student psychological counselling. More specifically, I’m interested in understanding the mechanisms through which parental and/or other types of acceptance-rejection (e.g. peers, partner) affect the psychological adjustment (e.g. rejection sensitivity) as well as possible protective factors that are involved in these relationships. Further, I’m also interested in issues that pertain the psychological and academic adjustment of university students.
- “Student Technostress in Undergraduate Distance Education: a Navigation Toolkit for WELLness – STUDENT-WELL”, ERASMUS+ (KA226 Digital Partnerships), European Union, Project Code: 2020-1-UK01-KA226-HE-094622, OID Reference: E10206500, Principal Investigator [2021-2023]
- “Multi-Agency approach to suppoRt victims of Intimate partner violence with SubStance Abuse issues MARISSA”. JUST/REC – European Commission, Principal Investigator [2020-2022]
- “Free from Addiction, Safe from Abuse – FASA”, ERASMUS+ (2019-1-EL01-KA202-062475), Principal Investigator [2019-2022]
- “Accepting Schools: The implementation of anti-racist program“Friendship Project” in Greece”. ERASMUS+, European Union European Regional Development Fund/Partnership Agreement 2014-2020, Principal Investigator, [2018-2019]
- “National Study for the application of Counselling & Guidance systems in Greek schools” – Institute of Educational Policy (IDP)/Ministry of Education, Principal Investigator [2018-2019]
- “Role Models” in Greek Schools – State Scholarship Foundation-IKY/Ministry of Education, ERASMUS+ [2017-2020]
- Spyropoulou, E. & Giovazolias, T. (2022). Anger Rumination in Early Adolescence: Risk factor or Outcome of Depressive symptoms? A Prospective Study. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 51(9), 1708-1719
- Giovazolias, T. & Paschalidi, Ei. (2022). The effect of rejection sensitivity on fear of intimacy in emerging adulthood: A moderated-mediation model. European Journal of Psychology Open, 81(1), 1-12.
- Spyropoulou, E. & Giovazolias, T. (2022). The Scarring Effects of Depression Symptoms on Sadness Rumination and Peer Victimization in Greek Early Adolescents: Evidence for an integrated symptoms-driven model. The Journal of Early Adolescence, 42(7), 845-884
- Rohner, R.P., Filus, A., Melendez-Rhodes, T., …Giovazolias, T., et al. (2019). Psychological Maladjustment Mediates the Relation Between Remembrances of Parental Rejection in Childhood and Adults’ Fear of Intimacy: A Multicultural Study. Cross-Cultural Research, 53(5), 508-542.
- Giovazolias, T., Syggelaki, E., & Papastylianou, A. (2019). Effectiveness of a Teachers’ Training Program in Bullying on their Core self Evaluations, Relationship with students and Work Engagement. Journal of Classroom Interaction, 54(2), 4-23.
- Giovazolias, T. & Malikiosi-Loizos, M. (2018). The moderating role of father acceptance in the relationship between victimization and depressive symptoms. In H. Cowie & C.A. Myers (Eds.), School Bullying and Mental Health: Risks, Intervention and Prevention (pp. 101-112). London: Routledge
- Giovazolias, T., Karagiannopoulou, E. & Mitsopoulou, E. (2017). Can the factor structure of Defense Style Questionnaire (DSQ-40) contribute to our understanding of parental acceptance/rejection, bullying, victimization and perceived well-being in early adolescents? Europe’s Journal of Psychology, 13(2), 269-285.
- Mitsopoulou, E. & Giovazolias, T. (2015). Personality Traits, Empathy and Bullying Behavior: A Meta-Analytic Approach. Aggression & Violent Behavior, 21, 61-72.
Courses offered at the Undergraduate Level
- Counelling Psychology (PSY-3615)
- School Bullying and Victimization (PSY-3609)
- Counselling Skills (Lab: PSY-4603)
- Parenting and Parent Counselling: Current Approaches (Seminar: PSY-3622)
Courses offered at the Postgraduate Level
- Motivational Interviewing (Lab: KPE – 02)