I graduated from the Department of Psychology in the University of Crete and obtained my MSc in Neuroscience from the Faculty of Medicine in the University of Crete. Finally, I completed my Ph.D. in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete and my training in Neuropsychology in the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London. I also worked in the latter institution as an honorary post-doctorate researcher. My research interests focus on endophenotypic markers in high-risk groups of the schizophrenia-spectrum.
- Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London (2005-2006)
- Honorary post-doctorate researcher
- University General Hospital of Heraklion (2007 – 2010)
- Psychologist in the Psychiatric Clinic
- University of Crete (2010– Today)
- Faculty Member
My research interests are focusing on the assessment of endophenotypic markers in high-risk groups of the schizophrenia-spectrum. Specifically, my research group studies cognitive and sensorimotor gating impairments as well as personality traits in these populations; the ultimate goals is to detect not only predisposing but also protecting factors for conditions in the schizophrenia-spectrum.
- Greek Ministry of Finance and Investments: “The combined effects of traumatic life events and schizotypal personality traits on emotional processing” [2020-2021]
- Hellenic Foundation for Research & Innovation: “The association of schizotypal personality traits with cognitive and emotional functioning in groups at increased risk for schizophrenia-spectrum disorders” [2019-2022]
- Special Account for Research, University of Crete: “The effect of executive working memory training on cognitive flexibility and its underlying neurobiological mechanisms in man and mouse: A translational study” [2018-2021]
- General Secretariat for Research and Technology: “Prefrontally-Mediated Endophenotypes in the Schizophrenia-Spectrum” [2014-2015]
- Special Account for Research, University of Crete: “Endophenotypes in the Schizophrenia-Spectrum” [2013-2015]
- Giakoumaki, S.G., Karagiannopoulou, L., Karamaouna, P., Zouraraki, C., & Bitsios, P. (2020). The association of schizotypal traits with Prepulse Inhibition: a double approach exploration. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry, 25(4), 281-293.
- Zouraraki, C., Karagiannopoulou, L., Karamaouna, P., Pallis, E. G., & Giakoumaki, S. G. (2019). Schizotypal traits, neurocognition, and paternal age in unaffected first degree relatives of patients with familial or sporadic schizophrenia. Psychiatry Research, 273, 422-429.
- Hatzimanolis, A., Avramopoulos, D., Arking, D. E., Moes, A., Bhatnagar, P., Lencz, T., Malhotra, A. K., Giakoumaki, S. G., Roussos, P., Smyrnis, N., Bitsios, P., & Stefanis, N. C., (2018). Stress-dependent association between polygenic risk for schizophrenia and schizotypal traits in young army recruits. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 44(2), 338-347.
- Zouraraki, C., Karamaouna, P., Karagiannopoulou, L., & Giakoumaki S. G. (2017). Schizotypy-independent and schizotypy-modulated cognitive impairments in unaffected first-degree relatives of schizophrenia-spectrum patients. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 32(8), 1010-1025.
- Gkintoni, E., Pallis, E. G., Bitsios, P., & Giakoumaki, S. G. (2017). Neurocognitive performance, psychopathology and social functioning in individuals at high risk for schizophrenia or psychotic bipolar disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders, 208, 512-520.
- Zouraraki, C., Tsaousis, I., Karamanouna, P., Karagiannopoulou, L., Roussos, P., Bitsios, P., & Giakoumaki, S. G. (2016). Associations of differential schizotypal dimensions with executive working memory: a moderated-mediation analysis. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 71, 39-48.
- Karagiannopoulou, L., Karamaouna, P., Zouraraki, C., Roussos, P., Bitsios, P., & Giakoumaki, S. G. (2016). Cognitive profiles of schizotypal dimensions in a community cohort: common properties of differential manifestations. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 38(9), 1050-1063.
Courses offered at the Undergraduate Level
- Neuropsychology (PSY-3401)
- Clinical Neuropsychology of Neuropsychiatric Disorders (PSY-3404)
- Clinical Neuropsychology of Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder (Seminar: PSY3409)
- Clinical Neuropsychological Assessment: Executive Functions and Attention (Lab: PSY4402)
- Neuropsychological Assessment (Lab: PSY4403)
Courses offered at the Postgraduate Level
- Neurocognitive impairments in drug abuse and addiction (module in the course entitled “Neurobiology, Psychopharmacology and Aetiopathogenesis of Addiction”)